From our cheese super star Allison Hooper (Vermont Creamery)
- 4 leeks (the white and light green portions only, washed and cut in half lengthways)
- 8 tablespoons of olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon of Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar
- 4 Crottin cheeses, sliced in half horizontally
- 8 slices of baguette
- 1 head of romaine lettuce
- 7 ounces of cherry tomatoes, halved
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Place the leeks on a baking tray. Sprinkle olive oil over the leeks and add salt and pepper to taste. Place the tray in the oven for 5 minutes or until the leeks are softened but not soggy. Let the leeks cool and then thinly slice them. Place the sliced leeks into a medium-sized bowl.
- To prepare the dressing, mix the mustard, balsamic vinegar, olive oil and leeks. Let it stand for about four hours. On a baking tray, place a slice of Crottin, rind side up, on each slice of bread, then place the tray in the oven to broil for five minutes. The cheese will become soft, melting slightly and turning a golden brown color.
- Place the lettuce and tomatoes in a bowl and top with the leek dressing to complete the salad. Serve it with the grilled baguette slices.